Make these cheese and bacon turnovers in no time. They are cheesy, full of bacon, and are flaky from the delicious puff pastry. Inside of the turnover you’ll find creamy Boursin cheese, cheddar cheese, and of course bacon. Make these for breakfast on a weekend or use as a grab and go for school or work. You will love this delicious cheesy pastry!Jump to Recipe
About The Recipe
- You only need about 20 minutes of prep time and 20 minutes of cook time to make these cheese and bacon turnovers
- These turnovers are stuffed with two types of cheese and one slice of bacon
- You only need 5 ingredients total
- These turnovers are freezer friendly, consider prepping them ahead of time and keeping them in your freezer for a special occasion
- This recipe makes 8 cheese and bacon turnovers
What It Takes to Make Cheese and Bacon Turnovers
Puff pastry - You only need one sheet of puff pastry, thaw before rolling out. Thawing typically takes about 20-30 minutes
Bacon - If you’re using a long strip of bacon, I encourage you to slice it in half. Some slices are so long that you can use one pieces of bacon for two pastries. Keep in mind that bacon will shrink as it cooks.
Boursin cheese - This is a gournay cheese that is very soft and creamy. It combines flavors of herbs and garlic and is originally from France.
Cheddar cheese - I recommend using sharp or extra sharp for added flavor.
Egg - This is used to brush over the top of the pastry to give it a rich golden color as it bakes
How The Cheese and Bacon Turnovers are Made
Step 1: Start by preheating your oven to 390 degrees. Remove 1 puff pastry sheet from the freezer and allow to thaw. Place a skillet over medium heat and add bacon. Cook until about 70-80% done. Your bacon should still be flimsy but you’ll notice a color change. Once done place aside for later.
Step 2: After the puff pastry has thawed, roll it out until it’s about 1/4 inch thick. This doesn’t have to be perfect. Slice the puff pastry into 8 even pieces. Position each piece in a slanted direction. You want there to be a corner on the top and a corner on the bottom. Spread the boursin cheese onto the pastry dough, then add cheese, then place the bacon on top. Repeat with each of the pieces.
Step 3: To form the cheese and bacon turnovers, Fold the top corner into the middle, then fold the bottom corner into the middle. Do this with wet fingers and press the dough together so it sticks. This is very important or your puff pastry will open up as it’s baking. Make an egg wash by cracking one egg into a small bowl, then whisk well until the yolk has broken. Use a brush to brush the egg wash over the puff pastry. Bake in a preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until the puff pastry is golden. Let cool for 5 minutes and then serve warm.
Storing the Turnovers
These cheese and bacon turnovers can be stored in an air tight container at room temperature for 1-2 days. They can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat in the oven or toaster oven at 375 degrees for about 5-10 minutes or until crispy and warm.
Freezing the Turnovers
Freezing the cheese and bacon turnovers is easy. To do so, you’ll need to follow the steps to prepare the turnovers. Do not add the egg wash and do not place in the oven. After the turnover has been formed, place all of the turnovers on a baking sheet with parchment (to prevent sticking) and place in the oven until each of them are frozen.
Once frozen remove them from the baking sheet and place them in an airtight container and put them back in the freezer. These can stay frozen for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to cook the cheese and bacon turnovers, simply thaw in the fridge and preheat your oven to 390 degrees. Add the egg wash over top of the turnovers and bake in a preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and flaky.
Try These Other Breakfast Ideas
Flaky Cheese and Bacon Turnovers
- 1 sheet of puff pastry thawed
- 8 slices of bacon or 4 large bacon slices cut in half
- 2 tablespoons Boursin cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 egg beaten
- Preheat your oven to 390 degrees.
- In a skillet fry bacon for 1-2 minutes on each side, do not cook it thoroughly. Pat any excess grease off with a paper towel and set aside.
- Roll 1 sheet of puff pastry out and slice into 8 pieces. Take each section and position it at a slant so that a corner is at the top and the bottom. Spread the boursin cheese evenly onto each slice focusing more on the middle than the sides, top with shredded cheddar cheese, then add the bacon slice.
- Fold in one corner, then fold over the other corner. Run your finger under water wetting a little and press the corners together to seal. Brush each puff pastry with egg wash. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until each pastry is deep golden and crispy. When done, let cool for 5 minutes.