The uncommon combination of burritos and potatoes will surprise you. It’s creamy, delicious, and they make the perfect meal prep for lunches or dinners. Once you try it, you will be hooked.
If you’ve ever tried a burrito with potatoes I would be surprised. This is inspired by a recipe that my parents made for us growing up. These were our go-to and we couldn’t get enough of them.
If you’re still not convinced, think about the most common spreads found on a burrito. Those that come to mind are hummus, avocado, and refried beans. Potatoes have a similar texture and are easily spreadable. If you’re using instant potatoes, there are multiple varieties from garlic to cheese to herb.
This chicken potato burrito is highly customizable. For the purposes of this recipe being easy there are only three main ingredients inside the burrito but don’t let that limit you from adding more to it like the following:
- Shrimp - a lot of times we would add shrimp in addition to shredded chicken with our tacos. You can simply cook the shrimp with the taco seasoning and toss with the shredded chicken over medium heat until they’re pink
- Rice - I opt for a spanish or mexican rice for this recipe. It’s easy, flavorful, and adds a little bit more of a bite to the burrito
- Taco sauce - Want to add a little bit of heat? This is the way to do it. I prefer a sauce over a salsa because you’re baking these burritos until they’re steaming hot and salsa that’s been heated doesn’t sound that appetizing
- Beans - I usually go for a black or pinto bean. These also add a good bite and extra fiber.
- Queso - This makes it even creamier and if you love cheese, I know you won’t make it without this. When we add queso we add the spicy queso this takes it to the next level.
Making the burritos
To make these burritos you first need to season and cook your chicken. Place your oil into a skillet over medium heat. Coat both sides of your chicken breasts with your favorite taco seasoning then add them to the hot pan and cook for around 5-7 minutes on each side depending on the thickness of your chicken. After the chicken has cooked, shred it with your fingers or two forks.
Prepare your instant mashed potatoes according to the package ingredients. Once they’re cooked, you can start prepping your burritos. There’s no need to heat the refried beans since they will warm in the burrito while they’re in the oven.
Spread a thin layer of mashed potatoes and refried beans to one side of the tortilla shells and top with shredded chicken. Add any other ingredients you would like then roll tightly. Be sure to fold in the sides as you roll to keep everything from falling out. Then, wrap with foil and bake in a preheated oven for 30 minutes.
These burritos are extremely versatile and you can add what ever ingredients you’d like. They’re perfect for meal prepping, weekend dinners, and you can even make them ahead of time. Don’t be hesitant about trying potatoes on your burrito. It will surprise you, I’m excited for you to take this recipe and put your own spin on it!
The Best Easy Chicken Potato Burritos
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 1 oz packet of your favorite taco seasoning
- 1 4 oz packet of instant mashed potatoes
- 1/2 16 oz can refried beans
- 8 large tortilla shells
- Preheat the oven for 350 degrees
- Place the oil in a skillet over medium heat. While the oil is heating massage the taco seasoning into the chicken breasts then place in the heated skillet and let cook on each side for around 5-6 minutes until cooked. Depending on the size of the chicken breast, you may need to cook longer. Once cooked, set aside and let cool. Once the chicken cools, shred
- Cook the mashed potatoes according to the package directions
- Assemble the tortillas by spreading the beans and mashed potatoes on one side then layer with your shredded chicken breasts and any other toppings you’d like. Then, fold in the sides and wrap until the tortilla and it’s fillings are in the shape of a burrito. Wrap your burritos in foil and bake for 30 minutes