Chicken breast is marinated in italian dressing, barbecue sauce, and hot sauce for 24 hours and then grilled until it’s cooked and juicy. It’s sweet, savory, spicy and so good. You only need four ingredients and a grill.
Why Does It Work?
Italian dressing is not just for salad. If you haven’t already, consider using it to marinate your chicken. Instead of measuring a variety of spices, and other seasonings skip the hassle and use sauces and dressings instead.
Italian dressing is a great choice because it contains oil, vinegar, garlic, and other dried herbs. This is great for chicken marinades because the oil coats the chicken and prevents it from burning when it grills. The vinegar penetrates the chicken making it juicy and tender. The garlic, dried herbs, and other seasonings add great flavor without the hassle of measuring because it’s already mixed it.
The barbecue sauce is essential because it adds the sweetness you don’t get from the italian dressing. The sugar in barbecue sauce caramelizes as the chicken grills. Depending on the type of barbecue sauce you get, it also adds that mesquite smoky flavor that’s enhanced even more when grilled.
We finish the marinade with hot sauce. This is pretty vague considering how many hot sauces are out there. We want to leave you the opportunity to choose your favorite hot sauce for this recipe. We’ve made this with buffalo wing sauce which keep the heat minimal but adds more garlic flavor. We’ve also tried sriracha and that adds great flavor as well.
Tips for Grilling Spicy Italian Barbecue Grilled Chicken
Grilling is a great idea when you don’t want to do so many dishes. Plus who wouldn’t want to get outside and enjoy some fresh air while you’re cooking? Grilling this spicy italian barbecue grilled chicken is easy! The following tips are some things I’ve learned along the way that make grilling a breeze.
- Once you’re done cleaning your grill grates, rub or spray them with cooking oil or vegetable oil. This will help your grilled chicken from sticking. This italian barbecue grilled chicken is prone to sticking because the barbecue contains sugar. Doing this will save you some headache.
- Don’t forget to cover the grill while your chicken is cooking on each side. Covering the grill ensures the perfect, warm, oven-like environment for your chicken which makes sure it’s cooked through so you don’t end up with a cooked outside but a raw inside.
- Avoid cross contamination. This seems obvious but it’s easy to do. The dishes that you use to marinate and place your raw chicken on the grill should not be used again after the chicken is cooked unless it’s thoroughly washed between uses. If you decide to brush some of the sauce onto the chicken as it grills, set aside some of the marinade in a separate bowl before adding the raw chicken.
- Make sure your chicken is fully cooked. The best way to ensure your chicken is cooked is by using a thermometer. Your chicken should be 165 degrees. When using a thermometer make sure you’re sticking it into the thickest part of the chicken for the most accurate results. If you don’t have a thermometer, cut into your chicken to make sure you see no more pink and that the chicken juices run clear.
Can You Freeze Grilled Chicken?
Yes, you can freeze grilled chicken. Grilled chicken can last in the freezer for up to three months. To freeze, let the grilled chicken come to room temperature. Then, seal in an air tight container and place in the freezer.
To reheat frozen grilled chicken, allow to thaw completely. Place the chicken on a microwave safe dish add a little water to avoid your chicken becoming too tough and dry. Cover with a plate cover or a damp paper towel and microwave the chicken in intervals of 20 seconds at a time until your chicken is warmed.
Other Grilled Chicken Recipes
Spicy Italian Barbecue Grilled Chicken (Only 4 Ingredients)
- 4-5 chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup italian dressing
- 1/4 cup barbecue dressing
- 1/4 cup hot sauce
- In a bag, combine all ingredients. Massage the marinade into the chicken, let marinate for 24 hours.
- After your chicken has marinated, preheat your grill. Clean the grates and brush the grates with oil to prevent the chicken from sticking. Place the chicken on the grill over medium to medium high heat and let cook for about 5-7 minutes.
- After 5-7 minutes or when the sides of the chicken start to cook and the grill marks start to form on one side of the chicken, flip and cook for an addition 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked.