This sriracha chicken wrap is stuffed with grilled sriracha chicken that’s marinated overnight in an addicting sauce. It’s spicy, healthy, and oh so good. Make this wrap for lunch, dinner, or even meal prep it. Get your grill heating and whole wheat wraps ready because this amazing meal is addicting and guilt free.
We’ve been trying to eat healthier lately and made a decision to make these grilled sriracha chicken wraps. Sriracha is such a delicious hot sauce that packs a lot of flavor. It's especially good then combined with fresh ingredients like carrots, red onion, and grilled chicken. The chicken in this recipe is not leftover chicken. We use chicken breasts marinated for more than 24 hours in a sriracha soy sauce blend and then grilled to perfection.
Choosing The Right Chicken
In this recipe we use boneless skinless chicken breasts. We stay away from bone in pieces because the breasts cook faster and you don’t have to worry about picking the chicken off the bone later. If you don’t have boneless skinless chicken breasts, you can certainly use chicken tenderloins in its place. You can also use chicken pieces or tenderloins but you’ll need to place them on a skewer before grilling.
Grilling The Chicken
To make this chicken super juicy and flavorful you’ll need to marinate the chicken for a few hours up to overnight. I always marinate my chicken overnight and find that it gives the best results. The chicken absorbs the marinade and is flavorful all the way through. Something I really like to do is poke holes in the chicken breasts with a fork before the marinade is placed on the chicken so the marinade can be absorbed in chicken versus just the outside.
Making the marinade is very easy. In a small bowl combine sriracha, brown sugar, soy sauce, and 1 tablespoons of sesame oil. Whisk until well combined. Add to the chicken breast and seal. Marinate in the refrigerator for a few hours up to 24 hours.
Once the chicken is done marinating, preheat your grill, and rub the grates with vegetable or olive oil to prevent the chicken from sticking. Once your grill is preheated place your chicken on over medium to medium high heat. Be careful of your chicken burning. Since the marinade contains brown sugar, this can happen easily.
Making The Wrap
Once you’ve grilled the chicken and fried the bacon, making the wrap is easy. You can make the wrap a couple of ways. In this recipe, I sautéed the garlic, carrots, and red onion in the bacon grease to add more flavor and to cook down the sharp flavor of the red onion and garlic which can be potent if eaten raw. I let everything cool before assembling the wrap because I don’t want the tortilla shell to get soggy.
On the other hand, if you’re into raw veggies in your wrap I suggest you omit the garlic and just add the shredded carrots and red onions. No need to sauté if you don’t want to. To assemble the wrap, place your spinach or other lettuce leaves down first, then the veggies, top with grilled chicken, and bacon. If you wanted some extra heat, you could add a drizzle of sriracha sauce before closing the wrap. Keep everything closer to one side of the tortilla shell which makes wrapping easier. Fold in the sides and roll until it’s sealed.
This wrap is so delicious and healthy. This recipe is a great option for lunch or dinner at home or on the go. For more delicious recipes that are healthy like this one click here!
Healthy Grilled Sriracha Chicken Wrap
- 1 lb chicken boneless skinless breasts
- 1/4 cup sriracha
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 6 slices of bacon
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced garlic
- 1 cup spinach
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1 red onion sliced
- 4 Whole wheat tortilla shells
- In a small bowl combine sriracha, brown sugar, soy sauce, and 1 tablespoon of sesame oil. Stir until well combined. Place the raw chicken breasts in a bag or sealed container and add the sauce over top. Give it a good stir coating all of the chicken. Marinate for a few hours or overnight.
- Once your chicken has marinated preheat your grill, clean the grates, and rub the grates with oil if you wish to prevent sticking. Grill the chicken over medium to medium high heat for around 5-7 minutes on each side (depending on how thick your chicken breasts are) until they're cooked through.
- After the chicken are done cooking chop into small pieces. Next, fry your bacon and set aside. Drain the excess grease and sesame oil and heat over medium heat. Once heated add the garlic, carrots, and onion and sauté until softened. Set aside and cool. If you prefer to use fresh vegetables skip sautéing them.
- Assemble the wrap by placing the spinach on one side of the wrap top with cooled vegetables, bacon, chicken, and sriracha sauce for added heat. Wrap the tortilla by folding in the sides then rolling, keeping everything tucked inside. Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to a week.