This easy baked spaghetti and meatballs with pesto is a favorite in our home. With only six ingredients, you can have dinner ready and made in no time. It’s meaty, cheesy, saucy and then baked until hot and bubbly.
We love Italian food in our home, it’s one type of food that everyone enjoys. We decided to make this recipe a little special by topping the baked spaghetti and meatballs with two types of cheese. We use mozzarella and parmesan. The combination of the light and strong cheeses pair well together and bake until bubbly forming the best cheese crust overtop of the noodles.
The next ingredient that makes this spaghetti pop is the pesto. Pesto commonly contains four ingredients which include basil, parmesan, garlic, and olive oil. We’ve decided to add this in dollops overtop of the noodles, sauce and meatballs before throwing it in the oven. You can mix this into the sauce before coating the noodles if you would like so it’s more evenly distributed throughout.
How the Baked Spaghetti is Made
This baked spaghetti and meatballs with pesto is SO easy to make. A lot of recipes have you make the marinara and/or meatballs from scratch. This is not only time consuming but requires you to have a lot of ingredients on hand. This recipe is way easier and gives you a break on weeknights. In only three steps your on your way to having a home cooked meal ready and on the table for your family.
- Cook your spaghetti according to the package directions
- Heat the marinara and meatballs until warm through and stir in the spaghetti
- Transfer to a baking dish, top with dollops of pesto and cheese and bake
To cover or not to cover the baked spaghetti?
I don’t recommend covering the baked spaghetti, the first reason is because your cheese won’t get golden and bubbly on top. The second reason is because steam is created and trapped within the foil and you could risk over cooking the spaghetti.
If you want to prepare this on a weekend to throw in the oven on a weeknight you can and it’s easy! While the prep work doesn’t take very long, it can take off around 20 minutes of cook time so doing this may be a good idea if you’re busy. You’ll prepare everything like normal, place it in a baking dish and covering it with plastic wrap or foil. When you’re ready to bake, don’t forget to uncover the spaghetti before placing it in the oven.
Storing the spaghetti/meal prepping
While this baked spaghetti is best the day it is served, it can be stored for up to a week in the refrigerator after it is cooked. If you’re into meal prepping for work or school, you can certainly do that as well. I have meal prepped this with a side of seasoned broccoli and it turned out great.
I can’t wait for you to try this extremely easy and delicious baked spaghetti. I know your family will love this just as much as mine did!
Easy Baked Spaghetti and Meatballs with Pesto
- 1 lb spaghetti cooked according to the package directions
- 1 24 oz container of marinara sauce
- 15-20 frozen meatballs
- 1/2 cup mozzarella
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons pesto
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- In a pot while your spaghetti is cooking, add your marinara sauce and meatballs and cook on a low heat until the meatballs are thawed.
- Once the spaghetti is done cooking and the meatballs are heated, add the pasta to the marinara mixture and stir until well combined.
- Transfer to a greased baking dish. Top with dollops of pesto, mozzarella, and parmesan. Bake for 20 minutes until cheese is melted and pasta is warmed through.