Chicken Piccata is an Italian classic and a family favorite. Chicken breasts are pan fried until golden and topped with a lemon, caper, white wine sauce and garnished with parsley. It’s juicy, full of flavor and so addicting.If you’re looking for a dinner that will impress this is it.
Recently, I’ve been trying to be a little more adventurous and spend more time in the kitchen. A lot of my inspiration comes from my favorite restaurants. However, this can get expensive so I decided to start making my italian restaurant favorites at home. It’s fun and affordable. We frequently bring the restaurant to the home and turn on a little jazz to cook to. Everyone loves it.
What is Piccata?
This Italian originated meal describes a thin piece of meat that’s pan fried and topped with a lemon, butter, caper, wine sauce. A lot of times piccata is made with veal but is also commonly made with chicken.
How this recipe is different
Most recipes use butter to thicken the lemon white wine sauce. We’ve been trying to cut out unnecessary fat and dairy when possible so for that reason, we’ve omitted the butter. Instead, we thicken with a corn starch slurry. This thickens the sauce slightly without all the fat and there will be no lumps.
On the other hand, if you don’t mind the butter you can certainly add it in place of the slurry. You will just use 2-3 tablespoons and add it to the sauce. You’ll want to simmer until reduced and it will thicken as it cools similarly to the corn starch slurry.
Another way this chicken piccata is different is because I use fish fry breading. Other recipes that are more traditional use a seasoned flour with salt, pepper, and garlic powder or other Italian seasonings. I love to use a fish fry because it adds heat, herbs, and more of that tangy lemon flavor. It is my favorite frying batter to use and I always have some on hand. If you want to go with something more traditional like an Italian bread crumb, go for it!
If you’re looking to bring the restaurant into your home, this is the recipe just for that. I’m excited for you to try it. Make a night out of it and turn on some jazz music while you cook!
Delicious Pan Fried Chicken Piccata
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour or your favorite fish fry breading
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 teaspoons capers
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 lemon juiced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- In a plastic container with a lid combine the flour, cheese, garlic powder, salt and pepper and mix until well combined
- Pat your chicken breasts down with a paper towel until dry. Add the chicken breasts to the plastic container and place the lid on top and shake until the chicken breasts are well covered
- In a skillet, add the olive oil and heat over medium heat. Once the oil has heated place the chicken breasts in the skillet and pan fry each side for 5-7 minutes until cooked through. After the chicken has cooked remove from the skillet and place on a drying rack to avoid making soggy.
- Add the minced garlic, capers, and white wine to deglaze the pan and stir until fragrant. Add the chicken broth, lemon juice and parsley. Bring to a simmer for around 3 minutes.
- Make a slurry by mixing the chicken broth and corn starch in a small container without any lumps. Add this to the chicken broth mixture and stir frequently until thickened. Remove the skillet from the heat and add the fried chicken breasts. Spoon the sauce over the chicken breasts and garnish with parsley.