Transform boring store bought ramen noodles into this spicy, delicious, chili garlic ramen in less than 10 minutes. Fresh garlic, onion, chili, and sriracha are cooked together and reduced to a sauce that covers the noodles. This is the best chili garlic ramen noodles you’ve ever had!
Ramen noodles are the go to comfort food. They’re cheap, made in only minutes, and are SO addicting. For this recipe, you’ll start by throwing out the over salted seasoning pack that comes with the store bought package. There is no need for it. The chili garlic sauce is cooked while the ramen is cooking, before you know it, you’ve got chili garlic ramen noodles.
What Makes It So Good?
So what makes these ramen noodles so good and so addicting? Fresh garlic and green onion are the answer. Notice how I said fresh garlic, not the garlic that comes pre minced in a container. I recommend buying a head of garlic and using the largest cloves. Green onion is used over white or sweet onion because it gives a completely different flavor, it’s less harsh and more flavorful in this case.
The second part of this is frying the green onion and fresh garlic in oil until they’re golden and crispy! You have to be careful with this because there’s a fine line between crispy and burnt. Keep a close eye on this. Once a sauce covers the noodles, you’ll have little pieces of golden, fried garlic which adds a pleasant crunch with your noodles.
The third part is the heat. The heat comes from the chili garlic paste and the sriracha. The chili garlic ramen noodles are spicy enough to make you want to come back for more but not too spicy that it’s overwhelming.
The ingredients in this recipe are simple all of which can be bought at a normal super market. They are not complicated or hard to find.
- Ramen noodles (seasoning packet removed) - You can use any brand you want, before you remove the noodles from the package don’t forget to read the instructions so you know how long to boil your noodles
- Fresh Garlic and Green Onion - Be sure to use fresh garlic, you can use either fresh or frozen green onion. I don’t recommend substituting the green onion. Not only does it add beautiful color, the flavor less harsh than that of an onion.
- Soy sauce - I used low sodium in this recipe, I didn’t need any extra salt. If you would like to use regular soy sauce it will be just as tasty
- Brown Sugar - The sugar doesn’t make the sauce sweet, instead it balances the saltiness of the dish. You can substitute maple syrup or regular sugar if you don’t have brown sugar on hand.
- Chili Garlic Sauce - This ingredient is becoming more and more popular. It’s made up of chili, garlic, and vinegar. It’s very flavorful and this ingredient shouldn’t be substituted.
- Sriracha - This hot sauce is super flavorful and has a very distinct flavor, I don’t recommend substituting this ingredient either.
- Sesame Seeds - Garnish with sesame seeds for a perfect finish. This also adds a crunch to each bite.
Meal Prepping the Chili Garlic Ramen Noodles
If you want to meal prep these chili garlic ramen noodles you certainly can. Once cooked you don’t have to eat them immediately. They can stay in the refrigerator for up to a week.
If you’re trying to meal prep ramen noodles, get creative and add sriracha grilled chicken, or some stir fry beef and broccoli to complete the meal and make it more balanced. The ramen noodle package suggests 2-3 servings so feel free to double the recipe to have a few days of meals ready to go!
How Chili Garlic Ramen Noodles Are Made
Making the chili garlic ramen noodles is simple. You start by filling a pot with water and cooking the ramen noodles according to the package directions. This should only take a few minutes.
While your noodles are cooking, heat oil over medium heat, once heated add the garlic and green onion and pan fry until the garlic is golden and crispy. Keep a close eye on this and be sure not to burn the garlic. This is very easy to do.
While the garlic and green onion are cooking, in a small bowl combine water, soy sauce, brown sugar, chili garlic paste, and sriracha. Whisk until well combined then pour into the garlic, green onion mixture. Simmer until reduced. Add the ramen noodles and stir to combine with the sauce. Garnish with sesame seeds and green onion. It’s that simple!
10 Minute Chili Garlic Ramen Noodles
- 1 package of ramen noodles seasoning packet removed
- 2-3 tablespoons oil
- 5 cloves fresh garlic minced
- 1/4 cup green onion sliced, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- Cook the ramen noodles according to the package directions in a pot of boiling water
- In a skillet, heat the oil. Once heated add your garlic and green onion and sauté until browned, about 3-5 minutes. Do not overcook.
- While the garlic and green onion are cooking, in a small bowl combine water, soy sauce, brown sugar, chili garlic paste, and sriracha, stir well. Once the garlic and onion is done, add the mixture to the skillet and continue to cook for an additional 3-5 minutes until the mixture is reduced
- Add the ramen noodles and garnish with green onion and sesame seeds