4 Ingredient potato soup is easy, creamy, and so delicious. Make this quick, simple soup in less than 30 minutes. It’s cozy comfort food that will warm your soul!Jump to Recipe
You might not believe me but this potato soup can be made with only 4 ingredients. It's a basic soup that is cozy, delicious, and it's so flavorful. There's no heavy cream and can be made dairy free by substituting the milk for a dairy free milk. Use this recipe as a base and build upon it topping with your favorite ingredients. We are so excited for you to try this recipe for potato soup!
- Why You'll Love This 4 Ingredient Potato Soup
- What You Need To Make 4 Ingredient Potato Soup
- What Is Mirepoix?
- What Is The Best Potato For Soup?
- How To Make Potato Soup With Only 4 Ingredients
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup Topping Ideas
- What To Serve with 4 Ingredient Potato Soup
- Can You Freeze Potato Soup?
- How Do You Thicken Potato Soup?
- How Long Will Homemade Potato Soup Last In The Refrigerator?
- How Do You Cut Potatoes For Potato Soup?
- Try These Other Cozy Soup Recipes!
- The Best 4 Ingredient Potato Soup
Why You'll Love This 4 Ingredient Potato Soup
- You only need 4 ingredients to make this easy potato soup. Chances are you probably have most if not all of the ingredients on hand already. It’s really that simple and it's good too. Don't think that less ingredients means less flavor. In fact, keeping it simple is what makes it so good.
- The 4 ingredient easy potato soup recipe can be made dairy free by substituting regular milk for a non dairy milk such as almond, oat, soy, or any other dairy free milk you enjoy. This makes it healthy, almost fat free and it still tastes great.
- The 4 ingredient potato soup is extremely versatile. There are so many ways to take this soup to the next level and that's the point. This is a basic recipe that you can make your own and add whatever you'd like over top or in the soup. It's a recipe that works and is so good.
- We took a short cut in this recipe by making frozen mirepoix an ingredient. We think you’ll love this because it cuts out extra prep time and adds nutritional and flavorful ingredients such as carrots, celery, and onion. This is a staple in any good soup. Using frozen mirepoix is a short cut worth taking for sure!
- The easy soup is gluten free and can be made dairy free. 4-ingredient potato soup is not your traditional old fashioned potato soup but it's a basic 4 ingredient soup that can be adjusted to fit your taste.
What You Need To Make 4 Ingredient Potato Soup
- Chicken broth - regular or low sodium if you like to track the amount of salt you consume. Use a homemade variety or store bought!
- Milk - regular 2% is great in this recipe or you could use a dairy free variety, whole milk, or skim milk instead
- Frozen Mirepoix - made up of pre-chopped carrot, celery, and onion. Can be found in most grocery stores. If you can't find the frozen version try searching for a fresh pre chopped container in the produce section. If all else fails you can leave out or make your own mirepoix. It’s all up to your preference.
- Gold Potatoes - we are loving the beautiful color that yellow potatoes give this soup, you can substitute russet potatoes if you can’t find yellow.
- Salt and Pepper - add to taste or when serving, we didn’t consider this a separate ingredient since it's such a staple and is typically added to most recipes. However, technically this makes it a 5 ingredient potato soup but who's counting!
What Is Mirepoix?
So I keep talking about mirepoix, but what exactly is it? Mirepoix is a french term also known as the holy trinity of French cooking. It’s simply the flavor base of three ingredients, carrots, onion, and celery. Making potato soup with mirepoix adds more nutrition, color, and flavor to the soup. We love veggies in this soup, however, they're not totally necessary. You can easily turn this into a 3 ingredient potato soup by omitting this ingredient all together.
Traditionally the three vegetables are diced and are slowly cooked with either butter or oil. This creates a delicious flavor base for any dish like a soup in this case. You may or may not have noticed but this recipe doesn't require any fat. No butter or oil to sauté the vegetables. That's because I wanted this recipe to be a dump and go.
Since I challenged myself to using only 4 ingredients, I didn't want to sacrifice one of the ingredients for butter. I also found that dumping all the ingredients and letting them simmer added so much flavor to the soup without the extra fat. However, if butter is your thing, add it!
What Is The Best Potato For Soup?
Choosing the right potato for your 4 ingredient potato soup might be tricky because there are so many different types of potatoes to choose from. They vary in taste, starchiness, and color. We’re going to get into the different types of potatoes and what they're good for down below. When it comes to choosing one, it’s all going to boil down to your personal preference. Hopefully the descriptions below help you decide!
Yellow or Yukon Gold Potatoes - We will start with yellow potatoes since they are what is used to make this recipe. Yellow potatoes are one of my favorites because they have such a bright and pretty color that will make your soup nice and yellow. These potatoes contain more moisture than other varieties which mean they don't fall apart quite as easily. They are a great choice for this soup because it's easy to mash the potatoes to thicken the soup while still leaving chunks for eating. That’s exactly what we were going for in this recipe.
Russet Potatoes - A very common variety typically used to make baked potatoes, french fries, and even mashed potatoes. They are high in starch and have a light texture. They are a perfect option for 4 ingredient potato soup and will give your soup a nice creamy, white texture and appearance. If you have these on hand you can easily substitute.
White Round Potatoes - Waxy but not as starchy as the other potato varieties. This variety is great for chunky soups where you want to leave the skin on. They hold their shape well and add a nice bite to any potato soup.
Red Potatoes - These are very similar to white round potatoes but have a nice red skin. If you're looking to add color to the soup, keep the skin on and add. They’re also waxy and hold their shape well making them a great choice for a chunkier soup if that's what you’re going for.
How To Make Potato Soup With Only 4 Ingredients
Step 1. Place the chicken broth, milk, frozen mirepoix, and potatoes in a large pot over medium heat and cover. Once the ingredients have reached a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook covered for about 30 minutes or until the potatoes have softened and can be pierced with a fork. Season with salt and pepper as needed.
Step 2. Add half the soup to a blender and blend until smooth. If you prefer a chunkier texture, simply press the potatoes with the back of a spoon to smash and break apart. This will thicken the soup while still leaving chunks.
Step 3. Serve warm adding any optional ingredients such as green onion, bacon pieces, ancho chili powder, and or sharp cheddar cheese.
4 Ingredient Potato Soup Topping Ideas
When it comes to the best potato soup recipe, for me, it's all about the garnish. Without the toppings you may feel like you have a bland potato soup. The garnish is what takes this 4 ingredient potato soup to the next level making it not only look delicious but taste delicious too. Below are some of my favorite ways to top the potato soup.
- Green onions or chives - green onions add color and flavor!
- Ancho chili powder - adds a touch of smokiness
- Chipotle chili powder - also adds smokiness with a lot of spice, try not to over do this ingredient
- Drizzle of hot sauce - for a spicy, tangy addition to the soup
- Bacon bits - how can you forget the bacon?
- Cheddar cheese - we like to use sharp
- Fresh thyme or parsley - you can use dried herbs but add to the soup while it's cooking instead to give the flavor time to come out
- Small dollop of sour cream - for extra creaminess which takes the creamy potato soup to the next level
- Extra black pepper - who doesn't love a little extra spice and pepper flavor
- Oyster crackers - for added crunch! You can substitute saltines as well
What To Serve with 4 Ingredient Potato Soup
Make your dinner complete by adding a few sides. Below is a list of sides I love to enjoy with this 4 ingredient potato soup. They're simple, easy to make and certainly make the dinner feel more put together.
- Garlic Bread
- Dinner rolls
- Baked vegetables
- Corn salad
- Roast beef sandwich
- Ham sandwich
- Grilled cheese
- Baked beans
Can You Freeze Potato Soup?
Many times freezing is the best long term storage for left overs. However, when it comes to potato soup, they say it doesn't do so well long term. We don’t recommend freezing potato soup because potatoes will soak up moisture and tend to become grainy when thawed. This will leave you with a completely different soup than you had before.
On top of that, dairy based soups in general aren't the best for freezing because they can separate and lose the creamy goodness they once had. The best way to enjoy potato soup is immediately.
How Do You Thicken Potato Soup?
There are a couple of ways to thicken this 4 ingredient potato soup. The first way is by blending half or all of the soup in a blender and blending until smooth. This will completely thicken the soup. I personally like to blend only half because I like having potatoes and veggies to bite into. On the other hand, if you prefer a soup that's completely smooth, you'll want to blend all of the soup. If you don't have a blender, you can use an immersion blender instead.
The second method I like to use is mashing the softened potatoes and veggies with a spoon. The more potatoes that are smashed the thicker your soup will get. This is also a great method if you want to leave your soup chunky and if you don’t want to blend the carrots and celery as well.
How Long Will Homemade Potato Soup Last In The Refrigerator?
The 4 ingredient potato soup will last in the refrigerator for up to a week. Before storing in the refrigerator, be sure the soup has cooled a bit. Store in an air tight container. To reheat, place in a microwave safe container and microwave covered with a paper towel for 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between. I like to cover with a paper towel because depending on how thick your soup is, it might splatter once it gets hot.
How Do You Cut Potatoes For Potato Soup?
There are many ways to cut potatoes for this 4 ingredient potato soup. One way that I found to work best for me is the following:
Step 1. Wash your potatoes before starting then peel if desired
Step 2. Slice the potato in half lengthwise, then place on a cutting board flat side down
Step 3. Slice both halves lengthwise, then chop the pieces lengthwise again
Step 4. Place a few of the potato pieces on top of each other and slice so you get bite sized rectangle/square pieces
Try These Other Cozy Soup Recipes!
The Best 4 Ingredient Potato Soup
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups frozen mirepoix
- 2 1/2 lbs of gold potatoes about 6 chopped into 1 inch pieces
- salt and pepper
- Optional Garnish: Green onion or chives, Bacon pieces, Ancho chili powder, Sharp cheddar
- Place all ingredients in a pot and cover. Cook for about 30-40 minutes or until potatoes have softened and can be pierced with a fork.
- Add half the soup to a blender and blend until smooth. If you prefer a chunkier potato soup simply press down on the potatoes with the back of your spoon to smoosh and break apart. This will also thicken your soup without making it completely smooth.
- Serve warm and top with green onion, bacon pieces, ancho chili powder, and sharp cheddar