If you’re looking to make an easy delicious Italian meal in the comfort of your own home this is it. This slow cooker chicken cacciatore is made conveniently in the slow cooker and only takes 3 hours to make on high. It’s a family favorite and makes for a perfect weekend meal.
What is Chicken Cacciatore?
This Italy originated chicken dish is traditionally cooked with onions, herbs, tomatoes, and bell peppers. There are a variety of variations that are all delicious. Some include red wine instead of white, bay leaf, rosemary, and even carrots to add a little big of sweetness. It’s also commonly served with pasta and rustic bread. In this variation we’re cooking the chicken with mushrooms, white wine, and capers.
Most recipes you’ll find are made with bone in chicken thighs or breasts. Cooking with these are great because they add more flavor and be more tender. On the other hand, if you’re looking for something a little more simple, go with the boneless chicken breast to avoid spending time tearing meat off the bones.
How is the slow cooker chicken cacciatore made?
Slow cooker recipes are great in that all of the ingredients can be placed in the crockpot and turned on high to start. They don’t need to be placed in any order and can all go in together.
The great thing about using the crock pot is how the chicken cooks slowly in the juices of the sauce. This infuses the chicken with flavor and keeps it nice and moist. I like to cook the chicken for around 3 hours on high, if you want to cook on low you can certainly do so for around 6 hours. If you’re using bone in chicken you’ll want to lengthen the cook time an extra hour or two until the chicken is falling off the bones.
Try not to overcook this chicken because doing so can cause it to get tough and dried out since we’re using boneless skinless breasts. Lastly, to top off the slow cooker chicken cacciatore I add fresh basil and grated parmesan. The basil adds brightness and freshness and the parmesan melts over top of the chicken creating a delicious layer of cheese as you bite into the chicken.
Because there is so much sauce, I recommend you serve it with bread or pasta like spaghetti. This completes the meal and brings it all together.
Storing Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore
This chicken dish can be stored refrigerated for up to a week. I have meal prepped this dish for work with a side of two vegetables like broccoli or squash. It heats up very well and I would recommend doing that if you have left overs.
Overall, I think you and your family will enjoy this yummy Italian classic. I can’t wait for you to make it.
Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 2 red bell peppers seeded and sliced
- 8 ounces sliced baby bella mushrooms or white mushrooms
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup capers
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or white wine
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Red pepper flake to taste optional
- Top with fresh basil and parmesan
- Serve over your favorite pasta
- Add to your crockpot all of the ingredients through red pepper flake in the order they are listed. Turn your crock pot on high and cook for 3 hours until your chicken is cooked through.
- During the last 30 minutes of cook time, boil water and cook the pasta of your choice according to the package directions. Serve the chicken and the sauce over the pasta and top with basil and parmesan