If you were to ask me what my favorite breakfast is at the moment, I would tell you waffles! It’s been my go-to in the mornings. If you don’t have a waffle maker you are missing out. There are so many different variations of waffles you can make like these whole wheat cinnamon waffles with candied orange slices. These waffles are so good, it’s like having dessert for breakfast. The blend of flavors between cinnamon and orange create the perfect flavor affinity.
Being on the go in the mornings, it’s not easy to make large breakfasts. These cinnamon waffles are easy to meal prep. You can do this one of two ways. You can make the batter and keep it refrigerated for up to a week and make the waffles in your non-stick waffle maker. Alternatively, you could make the waffles on the weekend, stick them in the freezer and pop them in a toaster in the morning. We do both methods pretty frequently and both turn out great!
What makes these cinnamon waffles so good are the candied oranges. These are super nostalgic for me. Growing up, my mom would make candied orange peels and I actually preferred these over any other candy. They’re sweet, a little sticky, and so good. Making these homemade are way better than what you would buy in the store.
When it comes to making candied orange slices, it’s not a big process but it does take some time. Most of the time is spent boiling the orange slices in a simple syrup for one hour and letting it dry on a cooling rack for 24 hours. I recommend starting on these first since they take the longest. Once they’re done you can keep them in a sealed container, refrigerated, for up to one month. If you like an extra bit of sweetness, you can also dip them in sugar.
These cinnamon waffles with candied orange slices are the perfect breakfast and well worth the wait. I’m excited to share this recipe with you and hope it’ll become a part of your daily breakfast as it has with ours.
Cinnamon Waffles with Candied Orange Slices
- Waffle Maker
For the waffles
- 2 eggs
- 1 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the candied orange slices
- 2 navel oranges sliced
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups sugar
For the waffles
- In a kitchenmaid mixer combine all of the ingredients for the waffles and mix until fully combined and refrigerate until you’re ready to cook them
- cook according to the instructions on your waffle maker, serve with your candied orange slices
For the candied oranges
- Prepare a bowl of ice water, set aside
- In a saucepan bring 1 cup of water to a boil, add your orange slices and cook for 2 minutes
- When the orange slices are done cooking place them into the ice water
- Rinse out your sauce pan and add 1 cup of water and 1 cup of sugar. Stir to dissolve the sugar and bring to a boil
- After the simple syrup has reached a boil, add the orange slices and cook for 1 hour
- Place on a rack to cool for 24 hours
- Keep refrigerated for up to one month